Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Responsibility of Being a Parent

When I was pregnant with Addyson, I was under no grand illusions that being a parent was all fun and games. I knew that with the birth of my baby came GREAT responsibility. I had a human life that I was now responsible for. Her emotional and physical well being were now of utmost priority. I think so many people become parents and believe that all they are required to do is feed and love this child. It wasn't until recently that I began to realize the FULL extent of the responsibilities of being a parent.

When H1N1 first made its appearance, I laughed about how the media likes to scare Americans. After all...it wasn't in the US...why should we really care? We weren't planning any trips to any foreign countries (although I wish we were!)...so we were safe. However, as time progressed...and the instances of H1N1 became greater and greater....I began to wonder...SHOULD I VACCINATE MY DAUGHTER?! It was something Adam and I struggled with...going back and forth between yes and no. We researched, we asked our pediatrician, we went over all the what ifs...and ultimately...we decided against getting her vaccinated. Adam and I try to not pump a ton of unnatural substances into our little girls bodies...so we definitely weren't going to risk her health with a vaccination that had been rushed to market. To this day I don't regret my decision.

However, Adam and I have just multiplied our responsibilities by 2! Annslie is due for her 2 month shots very soon...and after reading some studies...I am beginning to wonder if I should vaccinate her according to the recommended schedule. We struggled with these same decisions when Addyson was a baby...and ultimately chose to vaccinate her. Why in the world do I have qualms again? I mean...my 2 1/2 year old is happy, healthy, well adjusted...so why would I have any reason to believe it could go any differently this time?

I guess ultimately it has something to do with the fact that these are my precious babies...I worry about their future...even though they are only 2 1/2 and 8 weeks. I wonder if the things we give them now will cause harm later. Ultimately...I will be held accountable for what happens to them. They don't get to make this decision for themselves (as I am sure if Addy had a say she would say NO WAY MOMMA!)...and thats a huge responsibility to take!

The only comfort I can take is that the Lord knows what is best for my children...and all I can do is pray for the answers. Its so funny that as a parent you sometimes really AREN'T in control of them...but rather God should be! Yet another life lesson for myself in parenting!

Love,
Adam, Rachel, Addyson & Annslie


No comments:

Post a Comment